Members: 77  ?  Posts: 3297  ?  Topics: 379  ?  Please welcome Princess_Bear, our newest member.

News:

Welcome to Graphics Mayhem - Where the Mouse meets Design.

Author Topic: Which Program ?  (Read 100 times)

madinmex

• Apprentice
  • Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.0.10
Which Program ?
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »
    Some advice please. I am making a football forum (European) . Now I have to wait untill next week to, end of season, before I request some help with a logo or header as there are some big changes about to happen. However I must get into learning graphics as I may need to change the logo frequently  :'(  or  :D  whichever the way the season plays out. Can someone please point me to an easy(ish) program to either buy. It will be mainly used for headers or logos, i really do not want to get to involved in photo manipulation in a big way. I cannot afford Photoshop. For some stupid reason layers still confuse me and yet I do understand that it would probably be the best way to go. PS ultimate is affordable and I will download Gimp. Also any pointers to good video tutorials would be great.

Thanks for any help
    I do not have to attend every arguement I am invited to

NerdBoy

• Graphics Mayhem Designer
    • Global Moderator
    • Qualified
    • Computer Nerd
    • Windows Vista
    • Browser:
    • Firefox 3.0.10
    Re: Which Program ?
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
      I do not think any of the graphics software is really easy to use I  have been using Corel Paintshop Pro x2 for a little while now and  I am still learning new ways to use the different functions . Some say Adobe Photoshop is the best but I could not say because I have never used it but I can tell you it is not cheap . It all comes down to practice makes perfect the more you use the software the easier it gets it also helps to have some artistic talent . There are free ones like Gimp & Paint.net you can also get free trial versions of Corel and Adobes software . One of the first things you will need to learn about no matter what software you use is layers and layering . :)

Shortie

• Administrator
      • Connoisseur
      • The Ultimate Boss
      • Windows 7
      • Browser:
      • Firefox 3.5b4
      « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
        Now that is a tough one

you really only have two choices if Photoshop is out the question

1. Corel Paintsop pro Details Here... you can pick it up at the moment for around 70 Bucks 45 UKP and value for money you cannot beat it - If you have a browse around here look for NerdBoys stuff 90% of that has been created with PSP

2. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Deatails Here...and it says in the title it is part of the GNU project ans is free it takes a little bit of getting used to but again is a powerful option

If it was in your shoes I would start with GIMP now and see how you get on - just down load and try BUT if you have a few pennies spare go for PSP as it will do all you want and more with the additional aspect is that it is a recognized product and in the long run you will only have to learn one app

Just my thoughts

Shortie

P.S. once you have more details let us know about what you are creating and we should be able to help with technique and style

EDIT:-

Tutorial....

Here is a tutorial on layers and gives a good explanation of the principles it is based on Photoshop but can be applied to any Graphics app and the technique is the same - The way I explained it to my little one was draw on lots of sheets of tracing paper then hold them up to the light and move the sheets around until you get the picture you are after.
        « Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:57:40 PM by Shortie »
        Thank You, "Guest" For Reading My Post.

NerdBoy

• Global Moderator
        • Qualified
        • Computer Nerd
        • Windows Vista
        • Browser:
        • Firefox 3.0.10
        « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
          I agree with with Shortie try one of the free ones or download the free trial version of PSP Pro x2 it is the full version is not limited in anyway and play with it and see how it goes before you spend your hard earned money . :)

DMHolt57

• Global Moderator
          • Accomplished
          • int i, j; p = buffer; *p = 0; i = 0; if( h <= 2 )
          • Windows 7
          • Browser:
          • Microsoft IE 8.0
          « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:32:54 PM »
            The reason I suggest PaintDotNet for a freebie is the amount of online info and plug-ins at the forum.
            2. Microsoft pays the bills for the PDN project...no flames please...  >:D

madinmex

• Apprentice
            • Windows XP
            • Browser:
            • Firefox 3.0.10
            « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
              Thanks very much to you all  :wave:   I see PaintShop pro has a special offer so will get in touch with them tomorrow. Although from the UK I live in Mexico and they keep trying to give me the Spanish version but sure I will be able to get round that.I'll also try the freebies.

Layering .. I'll just have to get my head round it and hopefully it will click one day. Thanks to you all, hopefully one day soon I can exhibit my progress   :thumbsup:

Gracias !

SoLoGHoST

• Global Moderator
              • Accomplished
              • Windows Vista
              • Browser:
              • Microsoft IE 8.0
              « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:00:24 AM »
                Layering is simple if you think of it as a stack of see-through paper, you know like the tracing paper you used when you were a kid, or maybe not.  Each sheet of this paper is a layer.  So you draw something on 1 of these sheets, and place it down on a table, than draw something else on another sheet and place it right on top of the other sheet, the result is 1 drawing (but in actuality it is 2 peices of paper creating 1 drawing, or 2 layers creating that 1 image).

Well, hopefully this helps you to understand layers a bit.
                « Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:11:42 AM by SoLoGHoST »

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

NerdBoy

• Global Moderator
                • Qualified
                • Computer Nerd
                • Windows Vista
                • Browser:
                • Firefox 3.0.10
                « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »
                  I almost always with a few exceptions use a new layer whenever I add something new to the design I am creating it just makes things easier like if you add something and then decide you don't like it just delete the layer and it's gone . :)

DMHolt57

• Global Moderator
                  • Accomplished
                  • int i, j; p = buffer; *p = 0; i = 0; if( h <= 2 )
                  • Windows 7
                  • Browser:
                  • Microsoft IE 8.0
                  « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
                    Here is an obvious example...one house image then a second image of same with a duplicate layer with glass style added and merged...

madinmex

• Apprentice
                    • Windows XP
                    • Browser:
                    • Firefox 3.0.10
                    « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »
                      Thanks peeps. I understand the theory of layering but just never seem to get it right  :)  I've now bought PSP plus so will have no option but to keep at it untill it finally sinks in. It's strange that paintshop are giving a lot of 'extras' (video tutorial etc.) but mention very little of layering description wise. I must admit having a quick look, I like the painter photo 4 essentials ! however first things first.....

NerdBoy

• Global Moderator
                      • Qualified
                      • Computer Nerd
                      • Windows Vista
                      • Browser:
                      • Firefox 3.5b4
                      « Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
                        A word of caution from a fellow Paintshop pro user make sure that as you progress through your design that you save it as a .PSPimage do this every so often while your designing your logo or whatever the reason for this is that on occasion PSP PRO will crash it does not happen often but it does happen and you will lose your work if you don't save it as a .PSPimage I do this every time I start a new layer just to be safe there is nothing worse than working on a project for hours and then losing it all .  :)

Search

Latest Activity.
                        GM Wall by Shortie
                        [Today at 02:48:11 AM]

GM Dock Images by DMHolt57
                        [Yesterday at 10:36:12 PM]

May's Logo Challenge "Up Top" (2009)... by NerdBoy
                        [Yesterday at 10:12:14 PM]

The GM Wallpaper Collection May 2009 by DMHolt57
                        [Yesterday at 07:00:19 PM]

Shortie's General wallpapers by Shortie
                        [May 20, 2009, 11:35:03 PM]

Which Program ? by NerdBoy
                        [May 20, 2009, 09:35:17 PM]

logo for my website by Shortie
                        [May 20, 2009, 06:23:34 AM]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.